Goal Accomplished: My First Jewelry Show

Goal Accomplished

My First Jewelry Show

All photography showcased in this post was performed by Debora Cartagena of DeboraC Photos
 
Table Setup at Thai Heaven Restaurant
  
I know that I am a quite bit late getting this update out about my very first show!! It's been very busy before and since the show. I've finally found a moment to sit down and share my story of my very FIRST JEWELRY SHOW!!!!! My first jewelry show was held Saturday, August 25th, 2012 at 5pm, Thai Heaven Restaurant in Hapeville. It was very daunting but my God, I made it through and from what I hear, it was a success!! The success could not have been made possible without the support I received from my warm and caring patrons of my work and vision along with my team that helped me to pull this all together. I thank each of you dearly!
 

The Preparations

Display Setup

 
The preparations for my first show was something else. For about a month and a half, I went everywhere picking up little items I thought I might need to display my work and create a subtle ambiance to match the location. I also searched online for necklace busts, stands and holders, which for all my jewelry sellers out there, you know these things are not cheap. I had the entire concept envisioned in my mind completely. I created the return, payment, repair services and guarantee policies and placed them in nice frames. I even took time out to purchase very nice textured tags to place on my jewelry for clean and well coordinated sophistication. Soooo......something that I learned was that things will not always go the way that you plan them to be. So, always be ready to hit the curve ball. 
 
Obstacles came but I surely let Mr. Obstacle know that I would NOT play into his games! Supplies that I kept a close eye on all of sudden were sold out when I had the resources to get them. The places I frequented before to pick up inexpensive decor for the tables had all of a sudden decided to run out whereas before, there was an abundance for these items. The large poster board that I ordered for the show and submitted in enough time for print wasn't going to be available I learned the day before the show. The fabric (imitation shantung silk) that I normally use for my mannequin and tables all of sudden had a price hike that was too much for my budget, even with my Joann's coupon. For so long, the price remained at a steady and affordable amount, why did it change the day I needed them? I urgently needed to find an alternative. Two days before the show when I called to confirm the headcount, I was advised that I was not even listed on the roster for reservations!!! Through this, you kind of catch my drift, I was about to spiral. However.....the coup de gras of this whole obstacle situation was that I decided to become sick the very day before my show and not a moment earlier, sounding like Barry White's little brother! I quickly and sternly told the ever devious Mr. Obstacle that I have work to do and you will NOT get in my way.
 Mr. Obstacle got mowed over because I was on the move and I won!!!
 

The Show 

(From Left to Right): The Infinite Possibilities necklace, The Noir Blanc necklace, The Midnight Terrain necklace and The Olori necklace
 
 The day of the show threw me for a straight fast curve ball! Now, the show was set to begin at 5pm with me believing in my mind I would be completely done with setup by 4:30pm.
Oh, I was so very wrong!
 
I got up early that morning to work on my hair as the night before, I took Theraflu to fight my cold and get some much needed rest. I completed my hair by around 8:30am. I set out to pick up a few additional items for the show and continue putting together the giveaways for my guest. I gathered some daytime cold medicine as my cold began to gain momentumn. I knew that I needed to be on my way and there 2 to 2 1/2 hours before the event. Time just seem to have fire right behind it because boy, it was surely running after me to catch it. I got dressed around 1:05 with very minimal time after loading my car with every item I could think of. I had way more than I thought and was able to somehow jam pack everything into a 4 door Sentra, whew! Hot as it already was that day, the outfit I had on and my natural hair had given up and reverted. I tried to do simple touch ups in the car and kept my hair wrapped. I finally reached the location a little after 2:20pm. I checked in with my table delivery guy only to learn he was completely lost and ended up somewhere downtown (not sure how, though). As I tried to help him get to the right location,  I unloaded everything as fast as I could from my car and into the facility. In the process, I broke one of the glasses to hold my LED votive and one of my beautiful wooden vases.
 
Broken wooden green vases. Almost completely cracked at the bottom and top.
Closeup of LED votive inside of glass on jeweled tone chargers.
Luckily for me, my ace and huge supporter from the start, Missy, came along to help me with set up. I just could not find the time to delegate but had to breathe for just a moment to give directions on how to set up the tables and decor. To speed the story up a bit, the time I thought was good wasn't nearly enough and I could have most certainly used an hour more as everyone's schedule was very conflicting with what was earlier confirmed and everything was behind schedule. The table delivery gentleman finally arrived with the tables and the race was on.
 Nonetheless, sweating and fighting the cold, the show was ON, off schedule but on!!!!
Showtime ladies!!

It's Showtime for Divinite' Jewellry's Premier Trunk Show!

 
 I was still putting out jewelry (which I wasn't able to display everything) when people began arriving. My first guest and my lovely host, Catrina Heyward and her youthful beautiful daughter and friends arrived.Catrina's guest were gracious enough to assist me in putting out inventory. Thank you so much!!! Not too shortly after, my bfp (best friend photographer), Debora Cartagena showed up to begin her photographic artistry. We gel on a level that sometimes I can't even understand but, she gets it and it just flows. I will talk more about her professionalism in the next blog, :-). The stunning model, Nichelle Ward of Jackie Brown Modeling Agency, shows up with her image consultant, Marcheta Jones of Mon Image Imagery. Nichelle's spirit is just as stunning as her sauntering walk. It was 4:45pm and people were already seated with more coming. Rochelle Stephens of "Woman of Class" Luxe & Stylish Handbags, arrived and set up her lovely display of delicious handbags. I could see that things were coming together but my nerves and cold were still testing me.
 
 
What can I say, this is a beautiful photo. Four awesome women with dangerous style!
The sassy 100% classy woman and my hostess helper, Catrina Heyward working the camera.
 
Lady Rochelle Stephens of  owner of "Woman of Class" Luxe  Stylish Handbags. She's rocking my Amber Leaves Fall collection necklace. It was such a perfect piece for her. Notice how she's bringing it to life.


 
Even though I continuously ran the entire evening, putting out small fires everywhere, I realized that I was in wonderland watching everyone enjoy the lovely food served at this wonderful restaurant. I was overjoyed watching my lovely guests look at my jewelry, shop and do a little dinning. The atmosphere was quite inviting and even though everything wasn't exactly the way I wanted it to be, it turned out the way it needed to be. According to confirmations, I was suppose to have 54 guest. However, through Divine intervention, only half showed up and it was just enough for everyone to be seated out on the patio and mingle. There was breeze, scenery of our Atlanta airport, good food, great company and great items. It was perfect for what it was. Imperfections will always exist as perfection does not exist. Who want perfection anyways?
 
We played many games to entertain our guests and keep their attention. We played guess how many beads along with trivia geared towards my show. Before the event ended, the climax of the evening was the ticket drawing to announce the winner of the lovely Michael Kors wallet and a handmade necklace by yours truly. Debora did an excellent job of catching the winner the very moment I announced her name
 
Alnathan, the winner of the wallet and necklace. I wanted the wallet for myself!!!! The atmosphere was joyous!

The completion
 
The show was success. I have so much more of the story to tell but, I will just stop here and allow the pictures to speak, courtesy of DeboraC Photos. Check out here artist page by clicking on the following link
 
I want to thank everyone for supporting me on my very special day and now I have the courage to the next show. This time, it will be much sweeter and organized!
 
 
 
 

 
 
The ever so stylish Image Consultant, Shaina  Jackson wearing my funky Jazz & Vybe necklace
 
(From left to right): Mandarin Blues necklace, Safari Jungle necklace & The Merlot necklace. All Sold, :-).
 

Porchia loves the kids....especially sweet as cotton candy kids like this little beauty!!!!
 
 
 
Porchia loves the kids and infants are my weakness! You cannot deny cuteness and sweetness like this.
 
 
 
Terri is wearing The Atenti necklace. She was the originally inspiration behind this lovely necklace! Thank you, Terri!!
 
Well, I can't sing so I am not sure what I was saying right here.
 
One of our lucky winners of the trivia!
 
I am counting and explaining something.
 

The Abundant Harvest Necklace.

 
 
 
Missy sure is glowing into the night with her Merlot necklace on!
 
Drinks and food, anyone???
 
 


I was so very happy, my face began to hurt I was cheesing so hard!

My goal has finally been accomplished!
 Thank you Lord for getting me through this and matching my every step and thought.
Amen.

 

Comments