Patience: This Piece Tried Me!!

 

Short Story of An Artist's Patience

 
 
Over the weekend.....before restarting with this necklace
 
 Over the weekend.......

"WHAT?! I have to start over again!!!
 Nooooooo!!!
 I'm NOT doing this!! I am DONE!!!!
 "A loud thud occurs as you drop whatever tool/instrument you are using on your project or, in some cases, the project itself gets dropped!"

 
Taking down necklace for the THIRD time, just to make sure, it's right.
 
 
You know what I wanted to name this post something else, chile....this "THING" tried me!
 
 
I am quite sure many a dedicated artist can relate to this sentiment........a project that you have spent HOURS if not days on creating only to arrive at the end and realize......it just AIN'T right!
After starting over again, you get to the middle and realize again, it still isn't right!
The project just ISN'T right no matter what you seem to do or try.
 
I've been preparing for an upcoming fashion with the wonderful designer herself, Lavender's Jungle!! By the way (you  know I must put a plug in for our show, :-), if you are available and will be in the Atlanta area, the show will be held Saturday, March 28th, 7:00pm at the Porter House Performing Arts & Community Center. I'll give further details at the end of this post.
 I'd been under much pressure, self-induced, I would say, to return to jewelry artistry and bring a whole new look that shows growth but still says, me. I wanted to bring more of a multidimensional look to most of my pieces with some contrasting colors and textures and come away from the general one strand, no dangle in between necklaces. Multi stranded necklaces was the way I chose to go with this new endeavor. I simply love multi stranded necklaces and the look that it gives to an outfit plus with the elongation it adds to our necks. It gives such gracefulness to any lady.
 So......this weekend.....I made yet, another attempt.... a 5-stranded attempt.......


On Saturday afternoon, I laid out all of my beads, set the bead board up and decided to work on a 5-stranded, mushroom clasp closure necklace. I always knew I wanted to have the contrasting colors of turquoise and salmon but I left the other colors up to chance and groove. I started out just fine.
 Two strands, one of solid gold plated brass and dyed agates, perfectly nesting within each other.
 I tested the necklace on the mannequin (elongated skinny neck) and myself (thicker neck with some elongation, :] ).
The necklace laid nicely! 
 

Starting Out. Feeling Kind of Confident.....Until Later Arrives....


I would get to the third strand.....things seem to still be going alright. I needed to make a few adjustments here and there, place a few more spacer beads in there and spread them out to achieve the perfect length for nesting and for closure room.. I thought I'd have this in the bag to go on the the 4th and 5th strands.



 
 Once I did get the 4th strand, this is where things started to get tricky. I wanted neutrality to this piece and needed beads that would keep to the closeness of the colors but could bring out the color of the opalite and shell pearls I've chosen. 
 
 
Too Close & Ill Fitting. Had to Take Down, AGAIN!
 The problem resided in the fact that I didn't allow for the circular enclosure that comes from using a mushroom clasp. With a mushroom clasp, you must allow space for that enclosure which comes in deeper than a regular toggle or lobster clasp. Toggle and lobster clasps closes straight in and the length of the necklace is just as you measured it to be. You can see when I laid it down flat in the picture above that it was already too close and the necklace wasn't even closed yet. However, when you hold the necklace up, it seems graduated. The bead board was used but for some reason, the measurements just didn't come out right. So, many times with my projects, I just do it free handedly and go from there. At times, the best work comes free of all structure and so called measurements, unless you are baking. I need to have my desserts made right, lolol!
 
 
The Finished Product at 9:15pm, Sunday Night!
  After drinking some wine that Sunday, going out for a breather and returning to the project later that evening, I was able to knock it out in less than 30 minutes, just as my artist hubby said I would. He understood my struggle as well since he is an artist of paint, media and drawing specialties.
 
It is with this that I can honestly say, if something, anything is trying your patience, walk away from it and come back to it, if it's that important to you. Cool heads and leveled energy always prevail. ALWAYS.
 
Quick notes, I will releasing 1 of 3 collections on April 1st after the upcoming fashion show, The Solstice Collection, Spring/Summer 2015. This piece will be included in this collection as well! I haven't arrived at a name for this beauty but I am sure it will come. Your suggestions are welcomed!
 
As promised, here's the info for the amazing fashion coming up:
 
Lavender's Jungle Presents
The Fashion Playhouse
March 28th, 2015
 
@Porter Sanford Performing Arts & Community Center
3181 Rainbow Drive Decatur, GA 30034
 
VIP Tickets $50
Doors Open for VIP  Pre-Party at 5:00pm EST
General Admission : $35
Doors Open for General Admission at 6:00pm EST
 
  

Comments