My First Jewelry Show..... So Daunting But Exhilarating!!!


My First Jewelry Show: Preparations....So Daunting But Exhilarating!!!!


This is totally unbelievable for me right now. I am currently working on my first jewelry show, free standing on my own. This was part of the goals I set for myself this year to increase the visibility of my work. I have so much jewelry that I tend to hoard in my rollercase and only sale online and sometimes to my co-workers. My friends and family have been on me to do a show or at least work a little harder to get my work out there. I am told that I have enough to do a show but, in my mind, you NEVER have enough. If you think  you have enough, have more, is my school of thought. This same thought is what has kept me from having my own show and a few other thoughts. I have been so hesitant about doing this as the very thought of putting on a show solely on my own, is very daunting, almost intimidating. You know, we as artist, are very sensitive about our work and I want to make sure that I can make that connection, send out the right image and have cohesive branding and collections. However, with all this work and investing in various business cards, names, websites, beads, etc., these efforts would be futile if not placed into motion. So......I am producing my first show.....like IT'S ABOUT DARN TIME!!!!! Boy, procrastination is something else!!!



I'd been putting off doing this for the longest. This show was originally supposed to have happen back in April, the 14th to be exact. I just continued to make up excuses such as I didn't have enough inventory, no displays to showcase my work, none of the proper materials I needed in order to get this thing started. I found EVERY reason, let me tell  you. So, after working on the 60 Day Challenge that I had last month, the best way to get the feedback and experience I need in promoting and working with the public, unfiltered, is to have my own show, on my own. I finally made it up in my mind to get this done earlier this month, rain, shine, snowing cats and dogs! I must push whenever I feel the need to just back out. I must become my own solid pusher.

 The first order of business would be for me to select the date, a date that I felt would give me enough time to prepare but also to mark the beginning of changing into a new season: fall with the holidays and winter in tow. I didn't want it to be too far out and needed to have it one week after the Intergalactic Bead Show in August. The date that I decided upon is Saturday, August 25, 2012. This date is also significant to me also as this marks the 11th year of the passing of my favorite singer, Aaliyah, no coincidence though. In my thought process, this will give me enough time to produce new work geared towards the upcoming season (something new I am trying) and to get the notice out. Now that I have a goal to work towards with the date being set, I now need a place that will fit perfectly for my theme: A Multicultural Beautiful Fall.



Thai Heaven, Hapeville

After having the date set, I began to think more about the details like: How many people I would like to have, space, atmosphere, area and the energy. Thai Heaven popped into my mind, well, it was already in the back of my mind but, I tried to scout out other places. This place has the perfect atmosphere for what I have envisioned in my mind. The Eastern Indian layout of this loft styled brick building definitely fits the modern essence of my jewelry. The atmosphere is that of a dinning lounge and I love lounges that have a truly mellow feel to it. The colors of this locations is totally the look of my work. I commenced with the decision to check out the place and call the reservation owner.





After scoping out the location, I decided to have my jewelry trunk show on the patio where it is very spacious and has a nice view of the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport, Delta and the highway along with a few hotels and the highway. The breeze is very relaxing and I can see this being more of a unisex jewelry show and not too girly girly. The restaurant has a full bar and a great menu. The food is wonderful as I have dined at both locations myself. So, my guest will be able to look at my jewelry, dine on wonderful food and have nice drinks while they're there! The patio allows me to have up to 50-55 people, which is an excellent number guests and there will be plenty of space. I was totally set upon this idea. Now, I am working on the schematics but the next decision was to decide on the time of the show. Remember, Atlanta=HOT HOT HOT!





The third decision that I needed to look at was the time. Once again, I live in Atlanta and I am not sure where you live but where I am right now, the sun has tried to become our bosom buddy, hanging over our shoulders and even trying to give us a hug! It's hot down here. Having the show in August, I am banking on the notion that the heat would have calmed down just a little and the sun will begin to set a little earlier. Also, with the show being on the patio, I had to make sure that I could still capture daylight, miss some of the heat but also flow elegantly into other night. The time I decided upon was 5pm to 8pm. This time frame allows me to have a good bit of sunlight, miss the intense heat of the day, watch the sun set and go into the night once all the activities are fully underway. This is perfect time frame and even if it rains, there would be a lovely breeze with everyone for the most part, :-), being shielded from the rain. This location has set in motion the chain of events that will go forth for my jewelry show. Next step, invitations!


 My Jewelry Trunk Show Invitations!!!


I've seen a few jewelry invitations. I have seen fliers for jewelry shows telling people where the nearest ATMs where advising they will not accept checks. I've seen invitations that are very cute and nice but, nothing that gives a look into the jewelry that will be sold there. I took to Google and find inspiration for jewelry show invitations. I knew that I wanted to show my jewelry on my invites to entice people to come and that it needed to exude class and thought. Overnight Prints was is what I decided to use to create my invitations. Someone suggested zazzle.com but, there were too expensive and charged per invitation and did have the freedom that Overnightprints.com possessed. I proceeded to format my postcard invite with inspiration from a postcard from a fellow artisan on Etsy. I was going to just use one picture on both sides but knew I needed more photos to reach more people. I chose photos I thought would be a great contrast and were bold enough to carry the postcard. The above photos represents the finished product and I must say, even though the photos are not professionally done, I think everything is still presentable and pleasing to the eye. I placed these postcards into envelopes along with the business card of Thai Heaven and a small slip of paper to denote that I can accept credit cards and the like with the use of my Square application. Once I received the invitations, I was ready to distribute.


The challenge that I am facing now, getting people to come, :-). This will be just fine. At least I have set the wheels in motion to have my own jewelry show and to have this show photographed for my portfolio. Even though right now I am sweating bullets on how I am going to pull this all together, the point is that I get it done and know that I must try in order to grow and get better. I have already begun the preparations for the set up, games, collections and the overall aesthetics. I think this is going to be wonderful.


For those of you that live in the Atlanta area and would like to attend, come check me out. You may email me at Porchia@divinitejewelry.com to send in your reservations. I would love to have your presence there!

Wish me luck! Getting started and getting out there isn't an easy thing but after it's all said and done, you can definitely feel proud in knowing, you done something, beautiful.


Divinite' Jewellry
 "Art of Adornment"
 Fall-Holiday-Winter
Premier Trunk Show
 Saturday, August 25th, 2012
Thai Heaven Restaurant, Hapeville, Ga
5pm-8pm


Comments