My 1st Boutique Visit: A Lesson Learned From A Bad Experience


The Inquiry: My First Boutique Visit, A Lesson  Learned


 

African Violet Royalty Necklace. We are ROYALTY...ALWAYS!!
 
 
Just wow is all I can say this past Saturday. Sometimes, the only way to learn a lesson is to get it head on and process it later. On Friday, my friend's sister told him about lady at new boutique in Decatur that may be interested in seeing my work. He told me about it and I advised him that I might be interested, however,  I am not ready for boutique work as I am not set up to do wholesale inventory. The thought remained in the back of my mind as I am working towards getting into that industry, the right way. Needless to say, on Saturday, while we were out and about and near the area of this "boutique", we decided to stop by to only inquire about this possibility. We were in for a rude awakening and this is where our story begins.....

We entered into this "boutique". Before our entrance, I saw the clothing in the store window, which should have served to me as a prelude for what was to come but remaining mentally open is key in my life.  Remember, never judge a book by the cover into you decide to open the first chapter. I was happy to get an opportunity to meet this lady and was actually excited! We entered into the store and what would ensue would amaze me. I will not get into deep details as I am not a person who likes to speak in a questionably hard way about people so, I will be diplomatic as best as I can. I do want people to succeed in their endeavors, even if they must learn the hard way, self inflicted. It's hard out here. Before we even spoke with this lady, I looked around the store and the inventory. I could tell the business was very new which was promising but the inventory that was there left little to be desired in my opinion and didn't seem to fit the overall tone of my work. My friend proceeded towards an "attempt" to speak with this lady in regards to my work. I am not much of a marketeer myself but he can talk the president into making him VP! First impression counts for much but until someone speaks, once again, keep an open mind. And that is exactly what I did until the lady spoke and it removed all of my doubt. The conversation wasn't much of a conversation at all. Rather than the typical conversation of listening and speaking in equal parts, this individual needed to have it all from ground zero to the tip top! This boutique owner was very insistent upon stressing the fact of the following key points:

  • I started this business by myself with no help and others need to stop trying to dump their work here on me.
  • People need to get their mess together before coming in here without an appointment.
  • If I accept your work, I can get 75% of each sale or maybe 50%.
  • I need to get the name of my business out here first. She then proceeds to give me a bunch of postcards with "her" info while only accepting "one" of my postcards and business card.
  • My inventory is not for strippers rather sexy women. She had the audacity to question my attire for which I am covered.
  • Mispronouncing my name, repeatedly regardless of clearly hearing it and seeing the spelling.
  • Talking very fast and loud
  • Giving fluff by name dropping (unfamiliar with the names) of people who loves her clothing.
The attempt to talk with this "business owner" was futile. This individual dominated the entire conversation and was extremely rude throughout the entire interaction. Not one moment throughout this entire encounter did she ever allow neither one of us to really interact with her or to explain our work and our background. During this encounter, I did hand her my business card and post card, which in my mind, was done very tasteful and professionally.





She took them and began speaking about people that have come into her shop claiming to have handmade the items for which they are trying place in her store. She states that she is aware they've obtained them from a mart of something of that nature. I took this as a side accusation that my work is not original and isn't genuinely made by me. You can look at various items and tell if they were mass produced or indeed handmade, which, if you are a true fashion connoisseur, you know the difference. The jewelry that was in her store was obviously unique but nonetheless, mass produced. At that point, I was highly insulted and my friend knew I'd had enough and that it was time to leave. I still remained gracious and smiled and continued to seem "interested". She named dropped a few people she advised were in the entertainment industry and were supporting her work and thought it was the best clothing ever. To be honest, the store had clothing highly geared towards the video vixen look and didn't speak to the style that I needed for my jewelry which is elegance, peace, love and bold style.. Everything, not one thing only but the shoes, were Lycra, polyester and spandex.


Inventory in her store. Very sexy, can't lie but.......
 


My type of clothing....classic
  

My jewelry to go with my style...being true to me





My dress on Saturday



My shoes with my dress on Saturday with a simple ponytail.

Never the one to pass judgement as some women can wear a burlap sack string and make it look fierce, *Rhianna* and still have class like they were just born with it. However, when the lady stepped from behind the counter to give us, wait for it.....more of "her" postcards, as if I was in a movie, I looked at her from the tips of her toes to the top of her head just like Miranda Priestly in "Devil Wears Prada". No longer could I be focused on her "upper extremities" to be nice about it and no longer did I think I could respect her as a business woman.


Her dress on Saturday with 5 1/2 inch heels


According to what the lady stated, her business has only been open for 4 months. At that rate, it will not be for long as she lacked customer service and business acumen, 100%. Customer service isn't just for the shoppers, it is also for people that you may potentially  grow to do business with. Bridges are made through how well you can connect to people and tell your story and if your product suits a need. Listening is a two way street however, listening will never be obtained if you are not silent, which was absent with this business owner and will prove fatal to her business if not corrected.


The lesson that I learned this weekend is to always remain true to myself. If I continue to build my work, I will eventually find the right boutique that suits my personality and the personality of my work. Most importantly, the boutique owner will know a thing or two about tact and class and will approach all situations in that manner, always. The second lesson from this I learned is that I must always be prepared with a portable portfolio and resume' of my work, when the times comes. This is why I have initiated this 60 day challenge for myself. At the end of this, I should be able to take on a few things with minimal apprehension. Needless to say, I do not desire to do business with this individual. My work would not have been given any justice.

Now, this whole thing could have went totally different and the clothing and atmosphere would not have mattered at all. We all have to start somewhere some time but the heart of the individual is what goes further than anything solid on this planet. Her character lacked richness and the clothes to merely shroud those inefficiencies were glaring and could not be ignored.

To all my fellow small business owners in jewelry design and art, please stay true to who you are and never go into a place that doesn't speak to your style; your very essence. It may seem obvious but, when you are starting out, you may hop onto any opportunity that may present itself to you. This may be true, but, if you are not treated with respect and your work isn't either, I encourage you to leave. Your work is very precious and should be treated as such. If you respect it, so will others. How do you think the top designers got to where they are now and they are truly coveted?! We will get there, one experience at a time.....

Thank you for allowing me to vent, whew. We artist need it from time time.

Remain INSPIRED....Always.....

Loving your energy,

Porchia

http://www.divinitejewellry.com/

  


Comments