Putting In Work: Researching Trends

THE TREND REPORT:
JEWELRY FALL 2012

Good day  in the jewelry morning!!!!!!! Last night, I began to get a little bored mentally, which doesn't happen too often. I was taking a look over the photos of my recent work and thought to myself, it's time to change; go in a different direction but stay true to my style. The current work that I've been showcasing, which there is so much more to come, is more along the lines of tribal, ethnic, wordly jewelry and I love it so!!! However, I am noticing that I need to mix it up a bit. Although, I am not one to follow trends, I still need to keep up with what's going on so that I don't outdate myself. One of the many projects that I am working on consists of me working on seasonal lines (Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer). A wise jewelry artist (Titus B. of Titus B Jewelry, thank you), told me that creating collections that are geared towards the seasons are actually more successful than making things at random. I began to comtemplate about this theory once again last night. You know what, he may have a point. So....I took to good 'ol Google to check out the trends for Fall 2012 and my eyes have feasted on the upcoming trends. They are so me!
Nature  has most certainly called me when it comes to my work. I am so happy to see that I am already working on some aspects of this trends. After taking a look at some of the designs, I think I may need to experiment more with dangle elements and prints. Right now, I work with large eco friendly beads and bone beads. I have some leaf components in my stash that hasn't been put to use. Sometimes, I have to sit on many of my components until I know what I want to do with them. The designs for this season are definitely eye catching, however, it leaves me to wonder if these are accesories that can be worn 10 years from now. I don't consider my jewelry accesories rather lifestyle enhancements for the soul and wearable art. I tend to think of those little butterfly hair clips that we wore in the late 90's early 2000's with twisted hair. Although it was a very cute trend (I took my senior picture with one clipped on to my choker), they did come to an end within 10 years and so did the velvet chokers and medallion necklaces. As usual, certain jewelry always makes a return but only for the moment. I am looking for longevity through the seasons which is very important. So here poses a challenge for me, which we will chronicle in another blog that will be titled, Design Challenge: Fall Trends 2012. I will see if I can work on creating 4 cohesive collections of fashionable jewelry, however, they may be released for 2013 (such a cardinal rule that I have just voided). I march to beat of my own drum, :-). So, nature jewelry, I think I can do and will work on. We will see.

 I love geometry, well, geometric shapes! There is something so clean, bold and stylish about these shapes that can be worn time after time! After looking over these examples pictured to the right, I noticed that these trends are nothing more than vintage trends of the Art Nouveau area, which has returned and never really went away if you think about it. These pieces pictured here are timeless, in my opinion, and can always be worn with with anything, years down the line.  I have a pendant currently in my stash that I've been dying to work with but haven't quite found the perfect inspiration to work with it. The XL vintage brass center painted pendant is amazing in person. I know that I don't want to do anything to disturb the style of this pendant. Not much is needed, but it is too typical to place a chain or leather strand with this pendant. The ideas I have viewed in this upcoming Fall Trend Forecast may allow me to see how I can work some sort of classic element into this pendant and still maintain the level of timeless sophistication that these geometric beauties possess. I haven't learned how to work with epoxy resin yet as you see here with some of the designs but, I have placed this on the agenda. I have some amazing pendant that I cannot wait to work with and showcase here. I will do a side by side comparison to see if I might have been able to meet the mark of the geometric fall trends. The shapes are flattering on everyone and can easily, if created a certain way, intertwine between men and women (unisex jewelry). For whatever reason, the crescents and large gong shaped discs are really striking me hard. So, needless to say, you may see a lot of these shapes coming up later this year.

Translucent bracelets. Who doesn't have one of these beauties? They are just plain flat gorgeous and a fashion must. I have a few and I will not part with them. I really cherish my jewelry, costume, beaded and fine. I have been trying to find the one pictured by "Siscata" on Etsy as this bracelet is a definite must for me: geometric shapes, colors and modern appeal, right up my alley!! These are strong fashion staples here. Although, I am not too sure on how to cure these bracelets here, I will gladly search out vendors that have these styles of bracelets in unique styles to sell as a complimenting asset to my jewelry collection. Stunning and fresh. I love it! Below, we also have the tribal warrior look. Now....seed beading drives me wild! I love the look and I will attempt but, I must be honest, I may not have much seed beading in my inventory for this season. The necklace that I found on this lovely website, "Bajalia" is simply gorgeous to the tenth degree!!!!! The price is perfect, around $50 or $60 and is a definite statement necklace. This may be the only project I will try to complete and commence with as far as seed beading for this year. Gorgeous pieces but time consuming construction. As the remainder for the tribal warrior look, we can definitely give this a look and work on solid examples, which I may gear towards the men, since I have been neglecting them just a tad bit, :-), sorry fellas! Women's jewelry is very inspiring and colorful and any boundaries can be tried. I love it so, also!



















Breakdown of Fall Jewelry Trend Forecast 2012

1. Crème De La Crème-Flesh tones: dusty rose, nude, white, cream
-milky stones with white sheel and painted metal accents
-cream, white and light turq patinas-Cabochon beads and stone
-Materials include metal, cord, shell and resin

2. Disco Diva-70’s vintage inspired color pallet (browns, yellows, cobalt blue, orange, grey, black)
-Soft polished golds and silvers
-Geometric shapes and components
-Textured stampings
-cabochon resins and enamel accents
-movable parts
-Stud earrings and door knocker earrings
-Collar necklaces
-matrixed enamels, tortoise and animal skins (PU insets)

3. Nature Calls-Earthy colors, muted neutrals and turqs
-leaf, animal and floral accents
-Casted and real feathers
-Suedette cord
-Animal prints (prints and textures on castings)
-Dream catcher styles
-stackable rings and long shield rings

4. Tribal Warrior-Burnished, worn platings
-traditional tribal colors (dark red, dark blue, dark green and browns) mixed with neons and brights
-seed beads, wood beads, resin stones and enamel accents
-casted feathers, leafs and horns
-tribal etchings, stampings and prints
-Shield rings

As I have typed up these trends, courtesy of Women's Daily and Style.com, I will print this blog out for my own resources as I proceed with working on a cohesive collection of jewelry.

So, I do have a question: Do you as an artist, work on jewelry that is geared towards the season or do you create as you feel?

Comments

  1. Your blog's lookin' good, my friend! I enjoyed reading about your process and hearing your research on what's next and new!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I will review your comment within 24-48 hours of receiept. Please check back to view your posted comment. Until then, enjoy the blog and I look forward to interacting with you very soon!

Sincerely,
Porchia
www.DiviniteJewellry.com
www.Facebook.com.DiviniteJewellrybyPorchia
www.Twitter.com/DiviniteJewell
www.LinkedIn.com/In/DiviniteJewellry
www.Pinterest.com/DiviniteJewellry