Coming Up Next: The Projects, Amber Resin Fever


The Amber Resin Fever
X-Large White Metal Amber Resin Horse Pendant (2 3/4 by 3 3/4 inches)

What such an unmistakeably beautiful and warm bead! Amber, that is, in all it's forms of glory. I will have to do a full reporting on the beautiful history of amber as amber has served more of a purpose than the uniquely beautiful crystallized home to varying ancient insects. I just needed to get this idea concept out of my brain as it's running around mad, I tell you! As spring has arrived early in Atlanta and summer is surely on the way, we as women & men and myself as a jewelry artist, begin to play with the palates of color we desire to showcase for the season's best. This summer solstice warrants me to work with warm oranges and cool turquoise. The fever began when I came across this exquisite and unique amber resin pendant with the ever majestic horse. As you know, I am always choosing something that is one of a kind and typically, I am not able to find it again (this one may be a keeper). I begin to ponder what and how I can do with this large pendant. Don't get me wrong, as I have said before, I love the artists that are able to form the intricate designs that seed beads, metal welding, molding, etc. can produce, however, simpler methods can yield a stunning piece and I will, as my "Look" suggests, gravitate towards the big guns; The Big & Bold Beads
(3 B's). I begin to play with the concepts of  more large amber resin beads and how I can place them to pull this pendant off. I love the look of this amber because they resemble Copal amber (extremely expensive) that is considered to be "young amber" (1000+ years old). I love Copal amber but cannot afford the sometimes $1k plus price tag, so...I stick with the handmade resins from my vendor. The below beads, very large handmade amber resin beads (43mm x 51mm), really call to me to come up with something. Even if I do not use these particular beads for this pendant, I can definitely use them as a total statement necklace with one accent (I will feature these beads again in my next blog, Coming Up Next series.



Lighter shad large handmade amber resin beads.

 
Slightly darker shade handmade amber resin beads.
Nonetheless, the trend for this season according to style magazine is the color of turquoise (when is turquoise never really the color for summer) and tribal/ethnic pieces. I am following suit in my own creative way along with turquoise, orange is a nice contrast. In another blog, I will showcase some fashion pairings with some of my pieces so that we can explore and discuss how this could work. So, the next beautiful pendant I run across, still amber resin with repousse work on the backside. I could not resist purchasing! I am not sure of the little creature on the front of this pendant but I love the look and feel of this piece anyways
This may be a bird perched on a leaf branch. Still beautiful and very unique. This pendant is very thick and chunky. I love that these pieces are perfectly imperfect meaning that the "flaws" add so much character and heightens the design and emotional bond to these pieces. Everything isn't meant to be "machine perfect" as we are not machine perfect. Life wouldn't be fun if we were. These pieces reflect that and for me, the amber represents the warmth and glow of life within us.
  

Large Chunky Teardrop Amber Resin Pendant, 50mm x 71mm (2 by 2 3/4 inches)

 Stay tuned for what design I will come up with for these lovely beads. I may just include you all in on my process (pics of shopping for additional beads and the process to construct). That's an idea! Thank you so much for reading and check out my next post, Coming Up Next: The Completion, Volume 2, The Jazz & Vybe Necklace.

Stay Beautiful, inside and out!



Sincerely,
Porchia
http://www.divinitejewellry.com/


Comments