Coming Up Next: The Completion, Volume 2

Coming Up Next
The Completion
The Jazz & Vybe Necklace
(Urban Contemporary Art)

Jazz & Vybe Necklace, www.DiviniteJewellry.com

I am beginning to see a change in the work I am constructing nowadays. Sometimes, I have to say wow to myself, you know. In a previous blog of mine, I advised each of you to step back and watch your growth. I mean that statement every step of the way. If you haven't done so, do it now. It is a very critical thing to do so that you can see that you are growing and you are changing for the better. If you can see it, you should be aware that everyone else can as well. When I first started back in late 2008, early 2009, I could not come up with any color or texture combination of any sort. I started off with the typical alternation of two coordinating colors, which was boring for me and I knew I wanted so much more, but didn't know how I was going to get there or when..

Earlier work from 2009. Standard alternation of one dark colored and light colored bead with a middle accent.

As I progressed along, I decided that I should invest in taking a much closer look at European magazines and very artsy fartsy out of the box thinking artist. Their ability to see the unconventional and place it with the "conventional" amazed me to a level I didn't think at the time I could reach. I am still reaching for it, however, I think I am beginning to take a better crack at it now. Starting with the vision I received from the beautiful and rich chunky tortoise colored vintage Lucite beads....I thought to myself how can I deviate from the norm to make a piece that is fashionable but not trendy.



I was nervous at first to try this concept but, I received an inspiration to work with it. So, along I went to grab my 2 beautiful long horn shaped bone beads with a curved bolt down the sides. I laid them out to begin the project and thought again, I am missing something; I need something to add color and make this piece "pop". So....I couldn't finish my project as I needed to make a trip to my regular bead store...at the end of the week on Saturday, rats. I would have another project that I was eager to start but needed to put on ice. Every artist knows the frustration in having to get a vision out of your mind. The longer you wait to create the vision, you may loose the details or it may rack your brain until you release the vision(s). Another week passed by and I was able to get to my regular bead store where I found these beautiful large holed (Pandora) type beads. I picked up the yellow and thought, no, too much color. I found the purple and knew instinctively, this was it. I purchased a strand and returned back to my table to churn this necklace out.


The result is the soulfully rich and just youthfully spirited piece I decidedly named Jazz and Vybe necklace. Through this piece, I can truly see my growth. Not even a year ago would I have ever thought to try a combination like this and think to myself, this would actually work. I have worn this necklace out already and the eyes never veer away. The color combination can be conventional however, the shapes and colors, not so much. I simply adore this piece. I adore all of my work but some pieces have the underlying beauty that just sticks out and grabs you into its uniqueness. What an abyss to fall into....



I must say that this project was all about me experimenting with the unconventional, which meant trying something new. I am growing to learn how to work with all colors and not just seeing what matches but also incorporating various textures and lines. Jewelry artistry is so amazing. The mind is limitless and I have to say that I become quite excited at the possible prospect of new creations. I have a huge binder of various photos for inspiration to try something new. My next move, Native American jewelry and Mediterranean Jewelry. So, stay tuned. You know I will blog about it.

Thank you so much for reading.

Sincerely,
Porchia

Comments